- Aug 9, 2012
You must be registered for see images
It came with great regret that the logistics for the arrival of the Maduran Consul and Remurian Grand Duchess were alerted so substantially. Arturo Villavicencio International Airport was located far from the center of the Aurarian Capital, necessitated by the ancient city’s surge into modernity. A series of not so aesthetic highways connected it with the Avenida da la República which would take you directly into the center of the city which is where the grandeur of it was situated. The National Court, which occupied the original palace of the Aurarian Emperors was separated from Marisela Palace by a large park that the Avenida enclosed. Every aspect of the city planning was designed to show off its prestige.
The Aurarian Foreign Ministry, much to the disdain of the people of Solis, gleefully would close down these vital routes in order to show off the opulence of Solis. Unfortunately, these streets and courtyards which defined the city’s beauty were now filled with angry protestors who all had their own opinions on Auraria’s foreign policy and the allegedly looming economic crisis. The Ministry decided that such imagery did not set the tone they wanted, so helicopters were arranged to take the delegations from the Airport to the courtyard of Marisela Palace, a courtyard nicely insulated from the outside.
It was common during the revolution for the grand palaces of the nobility to be ransacked and converted into “Temples of the People.” Most famous among these examples are the National Court’s decision to usurp the Royal Palace in Solis and transform it into their meeting space. Despite the building’s grandeur, it quickly became evident that a Royal Palace wasn’t exactly fit to serve as the meeting place of a national legislature so in 1850 a massive atrium was built on the backside of the building to house the actual floor. The atrium, from above, was an odd addition – but thankfully you rarely see the back of the building.
Marisela Palace, the residence and official working place of the President of the Republic, was different. This building was constructed in 1893 and exemplified the power of the Republic during the height of the “Second Aurarian Empire.” Stylizing itself in the Old Republic’s fascination with Tiburan and Pelasgian culture/architecture, the building is a mix of recognizable styles.
It’s defining feature is “La Promesa” three statues that sit on top the Palace. The left statue is a woman guiding Pegasus with imagery of agriculture. The right statue is another woman guiding another Pegasus, but with imagery of industry. In the center is the Allegory of the Republic, which symbolizes peace and prosperity.
The Palace itself was abuzz with activity, preparing the State Room for the Dinner Aruraria was hosting for the Madurans and Remurians. Nothing but the finest would be served and no expense would be spared – despite the cratering stock market. Before the dinner and festivities, President Ordenes would be meeting with the Maduran Consul and the Remurian Grand Duchess to discuss matters of state.
The Press had jumped on the opportunity to call it “The Gallian Summit, part three” or “The Third-Times-The-Charm Summit” or “The Southern Gallian Summit” in mockery of the President’s repeated failures to obtain meaningful progress in these summits. In spite of past failures, Ordenes remained optimistic of his chances here. He sat in his private office going through the final briefings the Ministry of Foreign Affairs provided. He would be summoned to the Main Gates to personally welcome the Remurians and Madurans as soon as they were to arrive.